A spectacular opening ceremony welcomes you to SUMMER GAMES
II. The lighting of the flame marks the start of the
international competition. White doves are released over the
stadium -- a traditional symbol of peace.
Once the opening ceremony concludes, a menu screen offers
you a choice of nine options. To make a selection, use your
joystick to move the cursor to your choice, then press the
FIRE BUTTON. If you are using the keyboard, you can either
use the cursor keys to move up and down the menu, type the
corresponding numbered key, or press [I] to move up the menu,
or M to move down, and then RETURN to make the selection.
OPTION 1: COMPETE IN ALL THE EVENTS
This option allows the players to compete in all eight (or
sixteen if you own SUMMER GAMES I -- see OPTION 5) of the
events; while keeping a running tally of medals awarded to
each player. You'll compete in the events in this order:
Triple Jump, Rowing, Javelin, Equestrian, High Jump, Fencing,
Cycling, and Kayaking.
* You will first be asked to enter your name and pick your
* Type your name on the keyboard and press the [RETURN] key to
* Use the joystick or the [I] and [M] keys to move the cursor to
the flag of your choice, then press the FIRE BUTTON or the
[RETURN] key to pick that country. (If you want to just listen
to the anthem, type [S].)
* Repeat the name and country selection for each additional
player (up to eight). When all player's names and countries
have been entered, press the RETURN key again.
* A verification screen will appear. If all names and countries
are correct, select YES with the joystick and press the fire
button, or type Y. If you need to make any changes, select NO,
or type N.
OPTION 2: COMPETE IN SOME EVENTS
* Similar to OPTION 1; however, you can compete in any number of
the listed events for this round of international competition.
* Select the event(s) by typing the corresponding numbered key
or by moving your joystick and pressing the FIRE BUTTON, or
pressing key [I] or [M] and then the [RETURN] key.
* The events you select will be displayed in white.
* When you are finished selecting the events, move the cursor to
the word DONE and press the FIRE BUTTON or the RETURN key.
OPTION 3: COMPETE IN ONE EVENT
* Similar to OPTIONS 1 and 2, but you can compete in any single
event of your choice.
* Select the event by typing the corresponding numbered key, by
moving the joystick and pressing the FIRE BUTTON or pressing
key [I] or [M] and then the [RETURN] key.
OPTION 4: PRACTICE ONE EVENT
* Use the joystick to select the event, then press the FIRE
BUTTON, type the corresponding numbered key, or press key [I]
or [M], and then the [RETURN] key. No scoring records are kept
during practice rounds.
OPTION 5: SUMMER GAMES I EVENTS (YES or NO)
* If you own SUMMER GAMES I, move the cursor to this option and
press the FIRE BUTTON or the [RETURN] key to select YES. This
will allow you to compete in 16 different events. The program
will prompt you when to insert the SUMMER GAMES I disk.
OPTION 6: SEE WORLD RECORDS
* Displays the highest score recorded in all events, with the
name and country of the player who achieved each world record.
* Press the FIRE BUTTON or the [RETURN] key to return to the
OPTION 7: OPENING CEREMONIES
* Allows you to view the opening ceremonies.
OPTION 8: CLOSING CEREMONIES
* Allows you to view the closing ceremonies.
OPTION 9: SOUND TO APPLE SPEAKER/CASSETTE PORT
All events in SUMMER GAMES II can be controlled with either
the joystick, or the keyboard. Movements from the keyboard are
* Allows you to turn the sound off or on. Apple Speaker
indicates sound on, Cassette Port, sound off.
I = FORWARD
M = DOWN OR BACK
J = LEFT
K = RIGHT
The stadium is alive with excitement as the athletes prepare
to compete in the first track and field event. The triple jump
consists of three continuous, fluid actions: the hop, the
step, and the jump. Victory in this event requires strength
and coordinated, fluid movement!
* Press the FIRE BUTTON or SPACE BAR to start running down the
* When you reach the takeoff line, move the joystick to the
RIGHT or press the [K] key to begin the "hop."
* As you land after the hop, move the joystick to the RIGHT or
press the K key again to initiate the "step."
* As you land from the step, move the joystick LEFT or press the
[J] key to begin the "jump."
* Finally, push the joystick FORWARD or press the [I] key to
give yourself a final boost as you fly through the air into
the landing pit.
Note: The joystick movements correspond to the movements of
your feet. (i.e. Move the joystick RIGHT or press the [K] key
to jump off from the right foot.)
* Timing is important in this event. You must move the joystick
or press the appropriate key at just the right moment to
perform each action correctly.
* The right moment to move the joystick or press the key for the
takeoff, or hop, is just as you reach the takeoff line.
* The proper time for the step and the jump is just as you
land from the previous jump.
* The judges will declare a fault if you move too late for any
of the three actions.
* After each jump, press the FIRE BUTTON or SPACE BAR to
* You get three attempts in the triple jump.
* The longest of your three attempts becomes your final score.
* The winner is the player who achieves the greatest distance in
a single attempt.
The single sculls is the most demanding rowing event in the
Games. Alone in your boat, you confront a single opponent in
head-to-head competition. Be ready to bend to the oars when the
countdown reaches "GO". Keep a steady rhythm going, because a
single stroke can mean the difference between victory and
* You will be rowing against a computer player on the top half
of the screen. Your rower is on the bottom half of the screen.
Press the FIRE BUTTON on the joystick or the SPACE BAR on the
keyboard to begin the countdown.
* When the countdown reaches "GO", begin rowing by moving the
joystick to the LEFT or pressing the [J] key to pick up your
oars, and then to the RIGHT or the [K] key to push them
through the water (the stroke).
* Practice in order to get the best rhythm for the fastest
movement through the water.
* Continue rowing by moving the joystick LEFT and then RIGHT, or
pressing [J], then [K], alternating the rhythm of the oars.
* After the end of the race, press the FIRE BUTTON or SPACE BAR
to begin the next event.
* The winner is the rower with the fastest final time.
Soaring in a long, graceful arc, the javelin brings appreciative
cheers when thrown with power and precision. To win, you must
build up speed on the runway and choose the right moment to
throw. Strive to release the javelin at the best angle for
distance in flight and you'll make a record-breaking throw!
* Press the FIRE BUTTON or SPACE BAR to start running down the
* Keep pressing the FIRE BUTTON or SPACE BAR to gain speed on
the runway. The more times you press the button or key, the
faster you will go.
* As you near the end of the runway, move the joystick LEFT or
press the J key to break stride and begin your throw.
* As you hold the joystick to the LEFT, the javelin will
continue to rise (keyboard only requires one key press). When
you release the joystick or press the [K] key, it will "lock
in" the angle and begin the throw.
* If you release the javelin too low, your throw will have a
* Releasing the javelin too high will result in a high throw
and a disappointing performance.
* The best angle to release the javelin at will be discovered
* If you cross the throwing line, you will incur a fault.
* You get three attempts to throw the javelin. Your longest
throw will be recorded as your final score.
* Press the FIRE BUTTON or SPACE BAR to continue after each
* The winner is the player with the longest throw.
This is the pinnacle of competition for horse and rider -- a
fierce test of skill and endurance. You must be prepared for
anything, because even a champion thoroughbred can fall or
refuse to jump. Keep a tight grip on the reins and watch out:
stone walls can be dangerous!
* Press the FIRE BUTTON or SPACE BAR when you are ready to
* Watch the countdown at the bottom of the screen. When it
reaches "GO", push the joystick FORWARD or press the [I] key
to start the horse.
* Your horse's speed will increase each time you push the
joystick FORWARD or press the [I] key. It will decrease each
time you pull the joystick BACK or press the [M] key.
* As you arrive at each barrier, move the joystick to the RIGHT,
key [K], to make the horse jump.
* If you move too early or too late, the horse may refuse to
* As your horse lands, push the joystick to the LEFT, key [J],
to prevent him from falling.
* If your horse stops in front of a barrier, he has refused to
* Pull the joystick BACK, key [M], to make the horse turn
* Go back far enough from the barrier to build up speed for
the jump, then push the joystick FORWARD, key [I], to turn
the horse around again and continue on the course.
* If your horse falls, press the FIRE BUTTON or SPACE BAR once
to get back in the saddle and then press it again to start the
* Penalties are assessed for refusals and falls. You are also
penalized for exceeding the time limit for the course.
* 6 points for each time you fall.
* 20 points for each refusal to jump.
* 1 point for every second that your time exceeds the optimal
time of 50 seconds.
* You can be disqualified if:
* Your total points from faults and refusals exceeds 99.
* Your total time exceeds 100 seconds.
* This is a very difficult event. Success requires practice and
concentration. Try to anticipate the next obstacle and strive
for a smooth transition from one jump to the next.
* The winner of this event is the contestant with the lowest
A cheer wells up from the crowd as you approach the high-jump
bar for your final attempt. Already you have shattered the
record. Two and a half meters. Now you are striding toward a bar
set even higher. Gather your strength and feel your legs explode
as you soar over the bar!
* The display at the bottom of the screen shows the contestant's
name and country, and the bar height. The bar begins at the
* If you wish to compete at that height, move joystick to the
RIGHT, [K] key. If not, then move the joystick to the LEFT,
key [J], to answer "NO". If all of the players decide not to
jump, the bar is raised and the question is asked again.
* After you accept a bar height, the display will read "FIRST
ATTEMPT", "SECOND ATTEMPT" or "THIRD ATTEMPT". Press the FIRE
BUTTON or SPACE BAR to begin.
* Hold your joystick to the RIGHT or press the [K] key to begin
* As you make your approach, move the joystick or press the
appropriate key to control your position and speed.
* FORWARD, or key I, to approach closer to the bar.
* BACK, or key [M], to widen the angle of your approach to the
* RIGHT, or key [K], to continue running. To run faster, hold
the joystick to the RIGHT and continuously press the FIRE
BUTTON or the [K] key.
* Press the FIRE BUTTON or SPACE BAR to jump. If you do not,
you will run past the bar. You may then repeat the attempt
* Push the joystick FORWARD, or key I, to flip up and over the
* You get three attempts to clear each height. Three successive
failures eliminate you from the high jump competition.
* You may refuse a jump even after you have made one or two
attempts at a given height. You will then be able to compete
at the next height.
* The bar height is raised after each round.
* The winner of this event is the last player to be eliminated.
You need good strategy, flawless timing and lightning reflexes
to capture the gold in this event. Try to stay on the attack,
but don't ignore your defenses. En garde!
* Press the <- or -> cursor keys in order to select a skill
level and press RETURN. Press any key to start.
* The name of the first contestant is displayed on the
scoreboard at the bottom of the screen. You are the fencer on
the left, the computer player is the fencer on the right.
* Press the FIRE BUTTON or SPACE BAR to salute your opponent and
begin the bout.
* For defense, move the joystick or press the appropriate keys
to try to block your opponent's moves.
* To block (parry) your opponent use the following keyboard keys
or use the joystick:
* Move the joystick UP or DOWN to position your foil at the same
level as your opponent's foil.
* Move your joystick LEFT or RIGHT to position your foil to the
extreme left or right. (You can also move the joystick in
diagonal directions such as down and to the left.)
* Now make a sweeping motion with your foil by moving your
joystick in the other direction. If your foil was positioned
correctly, you will block your opponent's foil, immobilizing
it for a brief moment. You can now thrust to score a hit on
* For attacking moves, and to control your fencer's movement on
the field of play, press and hold the FIRE BUTTON or CONTROL
key and move the joystick or press the appropriate key:
* FORWARD with the joystick, or CONTROL and [W] keys, to
thrust with your foil and recover to a defensive posture.
* BACK with the joystick, or CONTROL and [X], to thrust and
* LEFT with the joystick, or CONTROL and [A], to move left on
the playing field, or "fencing piste".
* RIGHT with the joystick, or CONTROL and [D], to move right
on the fencing piste.
* A successful thrust scores a hit against your opponent.
* Retreating too close to the edge of the fencing piste will
score a hit against you.
* The scoreboard displays the number of hits scored against each
* The winner of a bout is the player who scores the most hits
against his opponent.
* A bout lasts until three minutes have elapsed, or until five
hits are made against a fencer.
* If a score is tied at the end of three minutes, a one-minute
"sudden death" fence-off begins. The first player to score a
hit is declared the winner. If neither player scores a hit
during the fence-off, both players are assessed a loss.
* Strategy is crucial in this event. You must try to catch your
opponent off guard, parrying and feinting (by pulling back)
before thrusting for a hit.
* If your blade is parried, you are temporarily defenseless and
the only possible move is retreat.
* After completing a bout, press the FIRE BUTTON or the SPACE
BAR to continue.
* The winner of the fencing competition is usually the player
who wins the most bouts in the tournament. The actual rankings
are determined by the number of points awarded for the margin
* If you lose or tie: [Hits made x 1000]
* If you win: [(Hits made x 1000) + (4 - Hits against) x 1000]
This is an all-out sprint for the finish line. You can't let up
even for a moment, because the margin of victory can be a
fraction of a second!
* You will be cycling against a computer player on the top half
of the screen. Your cyclist is on the bottom half of the
screen. Press the FIRE BUTTON or SPACE BAR to begin the
* When the countdown reaches "GO", begin pedaling.
* To pedal your bicycle, move your joystick from LEFT to RIGHT,
or use keys [J] and [K], following the movement of the
* When the arrow points UP, move your joystick to the RIGHT or
press the [K] key.
* When the arrow is pointing DOWN, move the joystick to the
LEFT or press the [J] key.
* As the arrow speeds up, match your joystick speed or key
* After completing the race, press the FIRE BUTTON or SPACE BAR
* The winner of this event is the player who finishes the race
in the shortest time.
Kayaking involves speed, determination, and planning. Handling
your boat properly throughout the course is going to take your
last ounce of effort!
* Press the FIRE BUTTON or SPACE BAR when you are ready to
* Each time you move the joystick or press the appropriate key,
your kayaker will paddle in the direction indicated
* FORWARD, [I] key, to go forward.
* BACK, [M] key, to back up.
* LEFT, [J] key, to turn left.
* RIGHT, [K] key, to turn right.
* To continue paddling, press and hold the appropriate key or
joystick direction. This way you can paddle continuously in
the direction indicated unless you release the key or
* You must go through each gate properly to negotiate the course
without incurring penalties. TO GO THROUGH A GATE PROPERLY,
YOU MUST ALWAYS KEEP THE RED MARKER ON YOUR LEFT.
* There are three types of gates:
* DOWNSTREAM NORMAL: This gate has a red marker on the left
and a blue marker on the right. FACE FORWARD as you go
through this gate.
* DOWNSTREAM REVERSE: This gate has a white marker on the left
and a red marker on the right. You must turn your kayak
around and go through this gate BACKWARDS. (Red marker will
be on your left as you pass through.)
* UPSTREAM: This gate has a blue marker on the left and a red
marker on the right. Go around this gate and pass through it
in the OPPOSITE DIRECTION. Then turn your kayak around, go
around the markers (don't go through them again) and
continue to the next set of gates. Do not paddle through the
gate backwards or you will incur a penalty.
* You receive a 20-second penalty each time you miss a gate or
go through a gate the wrong way. Penalties are also assessed
if you go through the same gate more than once. (You will hear
a beeping noise each time you incur a penalty.)
* When you complete the course, a recap screen will display the
gates you missed, completed, or went through incorrectly, as
well as your total time.
* To improve your score, try to anticipate each gate and
position your kayak accordingly. Always be thinking a gate or
two ahead, and don't be afraid to paddle backwards to get into
position (a missed gate is worse than a couple of seconds of
* After completing the course, press the FIRE BUTTON or SPACE
BAR to advance to the next event.
* The winner of this event is the player with the fastest time